Re: Kswapd, CPU usage introduced by Rik's patch...?

From: Tzvetan Chaliavski (ceco@tk3c.org)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 10:28:32 EST

Same problem with Kswapd here too.. I'm using dual cpu machine
and as soon as I start doing lots of file operations (e.g.
cp -rf /usr/src /spcae, or mkisofs -r -o foo.iso /space/some_mirror )
the kswapd goes crazy and stays like that until the file
file operations are brought back to some minimal level. I have
tried the same with pre5 and it seemed to work.

BTW: cdrecord-1.8 cannot be compiled on this pre kernels. It's
including <shm.h> and for some reason there is undefined symbol
in this header (kdev_t is undefined). I have not traced the
problem yet. But I think the same happenes if I try to recompile
XFree86 4.0. I am running Slackware with some packages
changed/recompiled.

shane@isupportlive.com wrote:

> Linux kernel folk,
>
> I have been having extremely serious problems with kswapd. I noted
> [snip]

> Anyway, just wanted to throw out a "me too", and bring up the history
> of it. Rik if you want to send me a patch to test, I'd be happy to
> help you out in testing, and might mess arround with the code later
> this week. (Oh, BTW Rik, I don't mean to "blame" you, just wanted to
> bring up the history of it) Has anyone tried copying Riks changes into
> a 2.3.99pre3 based kernel to isolate that one change and tried? Rik
> if you forward me your original patch against 2.3.99pre3 I'll do that
> (or send me a URL). Maybe the problem creaped in from another change.

I can give it a try too.. Patches or URL where to get the from
are welcome..

> I noted however, that pre6 seemed a lot faster until kswapd started
> going crazy..., was there another change to the caching code that may
> have "interacted" with Rik's patch? (Caching seems to be much much
> more aggressive)
>
> One other note. This is ALL related to disk i/o. But not
> swapping to disk. It seems that the caching of disk files is causing
> the problem... over aggressive maybe? Because basically anything I do

And on my system was running top. The system indicated there was
0 shared memory used, it neer changed, but as soon as the whole
memory was user for either caching files or processes - the kswapd
appeared. I tried to turn off the swap, but this didn't help.

> that's disk intensive, it fills the cache, and then it's spending
> loads of CPU time swapping stuff in and out of *memory* not virtual
> memory. (Like I noted, the problem persists even if you turn off all
> swap partitions)

Same here. It actually never used any swap space on my system.

ceco

--
@*** Beauregard's Law ***
      When you're up to your nose, keep your mouth shut.