Re: crash while reading win2k ntfs partition

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 11:43:07 EST

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> Also looking at the implementation of block_read_full_page in fs/buffer.c
> (starts on line 1535, linux-2.3.99-pre7-1) the call to the file system
> supplied get_block function is not checked for its return value so it
> wouldn't trap that ntfs_get_block wouldn't be "successful".
>
> If anyone has any suggestions of how to handle this situation more
> elegantly please let me know... - NB. I am not looking for the suggestion
> "implement ntfs_get_block" unless you want to do it and send me a patch...
>
> Also would people consider it a Good Thing (TM) if the driver checks for
> the NTFS version during mount time and for example refuses to enable write
> access if Win2k has upgraded the NTFS partition to the win2k version of
> NTFS? IMHO this would be a good idea but I would like to hear what others
> think first, before doing it.

The Partition formats are different on W2K vs. NT4.0. If you attempt to
write to a W2K partition with the current Linux NTFS driver - YOU WILL
CORRUPT THE DRIVE. You might be able to mount it and read from it with
the current code (some W2K configurations won't work though), but you
should not attempt to write to it. The formats of a W2K partitions are
using the Veritas Volume Manager Stuff they developed for W2K. The
obvious fix is for someone to study NT4.0 vs. W2K and add the necessary
support to **NOT** stomp on the database section Veritas stamps on the
W2K partition -- if you overwrite it (which you do -- you think it's
free space) -- W2K will be toast the first time it tries to mount the
volume after Linux has corrupted it .......

:-)

Jeff