Re: Kernel Hangs on boot (2.2.14/2.3.51)

From: Andreas Jellinghaus (aj@dungeon.inka.de)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 13:58:38 EST

>memory parmeter tweaks, etc.. Every single kernel I have tried compiling
>halts the boot sequence in the same place, right after loading the kernel,
>but before the kernel actually boots.
>
>'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.'

my guess: you did not compile support for vga console.
if the machine is networked, you can ssh into it.

maybe the machine was built do be used via a serial console ?
(lots of people do that, as it allows remote rebooting and seeing
the bootloader and the startup process). could explain why the default
kernel does not work.

check that kernel option.

regards, andreas