Re: devfs persistence

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 03:25:23 EST

Hi,

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 07:39:19PM +0100, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 02:47:50PM +0000, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > >
> > > How are block devices without a UUID or similar handled? I'm thinking of
> > > (say) a database raw device.
> >
> > The easiest way to deal with that today is to use a logical device.
> > The raid autostart code, for example, will let you place a superblock
> > on any device to identify it. Just use raid0, and you can configure
>
> As a workaround, that's fine. Get's me going today, which is great.
> As a solution... it's inelegant. Although it does make it easier to scale
> to mirroring as/when required :-)

Perhaps, but you have to store the uuid somewhere. You can't store it in
the raw device that the user sees, because the whole point is to make
what looks like a completely empty device appear to have a uuid. So,
you either put a superblock into a partition and make a separate
logical device, or you put the uuid in the partition table --- which
you cannot do with msdos partitions. You're left with the raid0
superblock type of solution as basically the only alternative.

--Stephen