Re: [patch-2.3.99-pre7-1] SMP-safe vmalloc() and friends.

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 15:21:56 EST

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 1 May 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> >
> > Also, this patch can be treated as a bug fix as there are probably drivers
> > which call ioremap() without sufficient locking.
>
> Your changes to vread() look like obvious bugs to me, please tell me
> otherwise of fix them..

Hmmm, but changes to vread() are very simple - apart from
locking/unlocking vmlist_lock all we do is NOT write to userspace buffer
but instead write to a kernel buffer passed as argument:

- put_user('\0', buf);
+ *buf = '\0';

and

- put_user(*addr, buf);
+ *buf = *addr;

what is the problem? Maybe you meant changes to read_kmem() which actually
allocates a page and calls vread() - but even those look fine? What are
the obvious bugs in vread()?

Regards,
Tigran