Re: crash while reading win2k ntfs partition

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 16:26:30 EST

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Steve Dodd wrote:

> On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:43:07AM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > The Partition formats are different on W2K vs. NT4.0. If you attempt to
> > write to a W2K partition with the current Linux NTFS driver - YOU WILL
> > CORRUPT THE DRIVE.
>
> TBH, the write code probably mangles NT 4 volumes quite nicely too - the
> directory handling, anyway.

If I'm not all wrong, NTFS requires CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL and the
write-support is marked DANGEROUS. This _should_ make most people thing
twice before mounting any partitions with write-support. But of course,
that's in an ideal world...

> > You might be able to mount it and read from it with
> > the current code (some W2K configurations won't work though), but you
> > should not attempt to write to it. The formats of a W2K partitions are
> > using the Veritas Volume Manager Stuff they developed for W2K. The
> > obvious fix is for someone to study NT4.0 vs. W2K and add the necessary
> > support to **NOT** stomp on the database section Veritas stamps on the
> > W2K partition -- if you overwrite it (which you do -- you think it's
> > free space) -- W2K will be toast the first time it tries to mount the
> > volume after Linux has corrupted it .......
>
> They store data on the volume without marking the used blocks in $Bitmap?
> That's Evil(tm). Is there any technical justification for it?

Ahhh, but then you probably missed out that Microsoft == Evil(tm), or at
least Microsoft == Evil Inc.(tm)

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </