Re: crash while reading win2k ntfs partition

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 16:29:48 EST

Steve,

OK. Microsoft may string me up for this but having their customer's
data get mangled beyond recognition is not helping them, is not helping
Linux, and is definitely not helping their customers. There's also the
fact that despite the fact that the driver is busted and we have told
folks that it is, people just seem to keep using it. I am heads down in
the Linux page cache chasing bugs with NWFS (yes BUGS in the page cache
code of linux - I've found one in generic_commit_write where it will not
post data properly unless the page->buffers buffer head is alloc'd from
the Linux Buffer Cache) - I've got several items to do yet on NWFS on
2.4, but this NTFS thing just keeps coming back and biting us.

I will not have time to get on this until after I post the full Page
Cache version of NWFS (which is very close). I also am still looking at
a problem with mkisofs comlaining about "circular diretories when you
image an NWFS volume. After I get caught up, I will be happy to help
you get the NTFS driver working (to the point where is stops corrupting
data). I recommend MINIMAL functionality (i.e. let's drop the indexing
records and trying to get fancy with the MFT -- just write out data runs
so W2K can mount the FS without corrupting data).

Jeff