Re: kswapd @ 60-80% CPU during heavy HD i/o.

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 17:34:39 EST

Hi,

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 06:42:31PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Ermmm, a few days ago (yesterday?) you told me on irc that we
> needed to balance between zones ...

On a single NUMA node, definitely. We need balance between all of
the zones which may be in use in a specific allocation class.

NUMA is a very different issue. _Some_ memory pressure between nodes is
necessary: if one node is completely out of memory then we may have to
start allocating memory on other nodes to tasks tied to the node under
pressure. But in the normal case, you really do want NUMA memory classes
to be as independent of each other as possible.

--Stephen