Re: Memory limitations in Linux.

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 09:50:07 EST

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2000, Nigel Jacob wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Are there any plans to increase the max per process memory
> > limitation in Linux 2.4 from 2GB(as in Linux 2.2.*)to 4GB(or more)?
> > Is there a patch or maybe an (experimental) kernel in existance that
> > supports 4GB or memory?
>
> and who told you that Linux only supports 2G? Microsoft BS^WMarketing
> Department? Linux was supporting 64G which is the physical maximum of IA32
> architecture for eons now...

Nigel said *PER PROCESS* memory. This is limited to an absolute maximum of
4Gb on IA32, because that's the entire address space. (I thought the
division was 3Gb process, 1Gb kernel, though.)

A 64 bit platform (UltraSPARC, Alpha etc.) should support an enormous
amount of memory per process (64 Pb, less kernel requirements?); a 32 bit
one like IA32 is limited to 2-3Gb (2Gb under NT, 3Gb under NT Enterprise
Edition or Linux).

James.