Re: VM/IO performance sucks in 2.3.99-pre6

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 13:13:13 EST

Rik van Riel writes:
> On Wed, 3 May 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > Hi, all. I know there's been grumbling about VM/IO/LRU's/page aging
> > recently. To give an idea of how bad it is:
> >
> > It seems the current LRU algorithm is "Least Recently Used pages will
> > remain in RAM the longest". I'd call that a BFULRU.
>
> There's this great mailing list called "linux-kernel" that you
> may want to read every once in a while ;)

I do (that's why I said "I know there's been grumbling...":-)
Seriously, though, the noise^Wtraffic has become so high that I've
resorted to filtering stuff out and killing threads which I don't have
the time to deal with properly.

> To summarise: we have identified the problem and I'm busy writing
> the code to fix it. In fact, I'm writing the code right now...

What would also help is that when patches which fix something finally
make it in, the author posts a notice saying so. When I see the latest
patch/pre-patch, I have no idea what all that stuff is. All I can hope
to do is check if my patches went in (hopefully in-toto).

Hm. Larry: perhaps this is something BitKeeper would be able to help
with? When someone posts a patch to the list, a unique tag is
generated that people can snarf and place into a file, and then have
BitKeeper poll Linus' tree when that patch (change set?) goes in?

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca