Re: an Amicus Curae to the Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 20:29:34 EST

    Particularly the third item - restrict Microsoft's ability to endorse
\\ non-free hardware?! The second - patent restrictions - is a bit
    implausible too.

Such requirements have been imposed in antitrust cases before. There
may be specific reasons I do not know about why it would be hard to
do here, but it is a mistake to assume that this is "implausible"
a priori.

    What interests me, though, is why people keep suggesting that forcing MS
    to go open source would be the ideal punishment. Since when was releasing
    your OS source code a punishment? :-)

I am surprised too. I never suggest anyone should "go open source",
neither as a punishment or for any other reason.

    IMO, the proposed solution (the govt's, not RMS's!) is a pretty good one.
    It could do with a little refinement, and a few more restrictions in
    places, but it could be quite effective.

Splitting up Microsoft could be effective for stimulating competing
proprietary software companies that would work more effectively to
crush free software. I don't think that is a desirable result, but
perhaps you do. I don't know what else is in the proposed sentence.