PCMCAI Ethernet Speed Misrecognition

From: Robert K. Nelson (rnelson@airflowsciences.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 09:12:47 EST

I am having trouble with a 3COM PCMCIA card which is attached to a
10BaseT minihub. Under Linux the card is being set to 100BaseT mode
and, of course, networking fails. This is a clean RedHat 6.2 install,
with a 2.2.14-5.0 kernel. The card is:

3COM MegaHertz 10/100 Lan CardBus
Model 3CCFE575BT

The laptop is a Micron TransPort Trek 2, Model NBKU375

I'm ashamed to say that the machine is set for Linux/Windows NT 4.0 dual
boot. When booted under Windows the LEDs show that the card initially
goes into 100BaseT mode. Around the time the login screen appears, the
card resets and comes back up in the correct 10BaseT mode.

Any ideas on how to beat this thing into submission would be greatly
appreciated.

Bob Nelson

--
Robert K. Nelson