Re: 1.3msec timer needed - best way ?

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 11:56:10 EST

pbd@Op.Net said:
> I need to write 2 bytes to a device every 1.3msec (+/- 0.3msec). I
> know how to use the kernel timer system, and I know how to use the
> RTC. But I don't know how I can do this on time, because its not a
> multiple of 2, and the RTC requires this.

> Does anyone have any ideas ?

If you don't want to use RTLinux (why not?) you could just shift the system
timer to use the RTC - you can happily change HZ to be a power of two, and
then you're free to use the 8253 timer for whatever you like.

Alternatively, you could use the approach that the PC speaker driver does -
hook the 8253 timer, increase its frequency to whatever frequency you desire
- preferably a precise multiple of HZ - then call the old timer tick routine
once in each <n> times your new routine is triggered.

--
dwmw2