[angreal@wcug.wwu.edu: Bug Report]

From: Justin Patrin (angreal@wcug.wwu.edu)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 12:25:51 EST

        I doubt that this is where I should be sending this, but....I have a bug report about Linux Kernel 2.3.99-pre6. After booting up, my memory usage constantly goes up until it fills up all (384MB) of my RAM. With an earlier build of this version of the kernel, it would do this in an hour. During this boot, it has taken it about 5 hours to fill up my RAM. I'm pretty sure that this is a kernel memory leak because the memory usage is not accounted for anywhere in the memory usage of all of the other processes runnung on my system (gtop, for instance, tells me that around 120MB of RAM is used while top tells me that 300MB are used. Once top says that I'm using around 390MB of RAM, kswapd starts swapping things around and slowing my system down.
        My system is an Intel PII-400Mhz with 384MB of 100Mhz SDRAM, a 3COM 3c901 ethernet card, an ASUA V6600 Deluxe (nvidia Geforce) graphics card, an SBLive!, Creative Labs dxr3 DVD decoder, an IBM 16.8GB HD, and a Maxtor 24.3GB HD running Debian Linux (potato). I've attached the configuration file that I saved from 'make menuconfig'.
        One other thing..when I start up I get the message:
        eth0: first avaialble mdeia type: 10baseT
        a few times and then, when my computer is finished booting, I have to manually enter my ifconfig data and my default route. I was using DHCP before I upgraded my kernel, so something broke that.
        I'm sorry for sending my bug report to you, but as I said, I couldn't figure out where else to send it.

        Justin Patrin

----- End forwarded message -----