Re: Patch pre7-4: Update struct_timer.list update for all (at least x86) files

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 15:23:46 EST

"Adam J. Richter" wrote:

> >> The is a small change to struct timer in pre7-4. Instead of
> >> each timer having "prev" and "next" links, management of the doubly
> >> linked list is handled with a struct "list", which contains the
> >> "next" and "prev" fields. I am assuming that the semanitics of
> >> things like list.next == NULL are the same as the old next == NULL
> >> semantics, and so on. On that assumption, here is a patch that adjusts
> >> the rest of the kernel to the change that appeared in parts of pre7-4,
> >> so that the whole kernel compiles, at least on x86 (we build with
> >> every driver turned on, almost all as modules).
>
> >Agree with Yoann, this is completely wrong. :/

[... why do you quote my .signature? ...]

Yoann wrote:
> Driver which are manually setting the prev & next member of their
> timer structure are wrong <grin>.

> There is a macros called init_timer() (linux/timer.h) which is
> specifically designed for that.

After your patch, Adam, drivers STILL manually set the prev/next
member. The entire patch does this, I just reviewed it. Therefore, the
patch is wrong.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Nothing cures insomnia like the
Building 1024            | realization that it's time to get up.