Re: set_fs_pwd/set_fs_root(tsk, NULL, NULL) are OK?

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 01:42:05 EST

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> dijo:
> > ***ran Aivazian" at May 04, 2000 05:19:44 PM
> > > I want to force a process to have no cwd/root (yes, a radical concept but
> > > very convenient for some VFS features, e.g. when forcibly unmounting a
>
> > Nope. You want to force the process to have an empty root that is some
> > floating non entity object. That avoids special casing. Its basically a
> > / that is a 'nonfs'
>
> This would also be a nice idea for assorted daemons.

Ok, I started to work on it but on the back of my mind there is still
one unanswered question - do we force nullfs to be mounted somewhere
(/nullfs ?) automatically on boot and make this little filesystem required
non-modular built-in thing or do we make it modular and make sure users
mount it if they need it (on the other hand *everybody* needs forced
umount, e.g. to shutdown their systems if processes don't die in peace).

So, if I forcibly mount it (ala devfs on /dev) - is anybody going to
object saying "it is not UNIXy to mount thing without users content"?

Also, do we allow naive users doing "cd /nullfs" and being completely lost
with no way out (because no name lookups will work) - I suppose we can
prevent this by forcing inappropriate permission on root /nullfs - thus
"cd /nullfs" would fail on permission check level.

Regards,
Tigran