/dev/kmem

From: Michal Kosek (michau@august.V-LO.krakow.pl)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 06:26:11 EST

Hello,
I want to learn something about using of /dev/kmem. But I can't find any
documentation! While searching through the net, I found there was a
program called kmem_ps. But the last version was for kernels 1.2...
Everyone says that read/write access to /dev/kmem allows you to gain root
priviledges and execute any kernel code you want. But I haven't found any
program that makes any use of /dev/kmem.
The other thing is that kmem_ps should be available for root in any system
- there is no problem in writing module that hides your processes from
/proc filesystem. Deleting process from process table isn't so simple - so
results of kmem_ps are much more reliable.
So my question is:
Is there any documentation of using /dev/kmem?
TiA

--
Michal Kosek
You should pay homage to my homepage