Re: set_fs_pwd/set_fs_root(tsk, NULL, NULL) are OK?

From: Alexander Viro (aviro@redhat.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 10:30:55 EST

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Tigran Aivazian <tigran@veritas.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > Ok, I started to work on it but on the back of my mind there is still
> > one unanswered question - do we force nullfs to be mounted somewhere
> > (/nullfs ?) automatically on boot and make this little filesystem required
> > non-modular built-in thing or do we make it modular and make sure users
> > mount it if they need it (on the other hand *everybody* needs forced
> > umount, e.g. to shutdown their systems if processes don't die in peace).
>
> How about overloading chdir(2) so that chdir(NULL) just moves the processes
> cwd to the (or a) non-directory? I don't believe there are valid cases of

Stop it, please. It's just plain ugly.

> chdir(NULL). Another possibility could be to use chroot(2), which forbids

There are none and there is no valid case for overloading the basic interface.

> the use by non-root (good idea, IMHO) in the same call. The non-dir cage
> doesn't need to show up in the filesystem this way, thus killing the
> posibilities of mistakes and screams about strange stuff being
> automagically mounted. Makes sense too as it isn't really part of the
> hierarchy.

We don't have to mount it anywhere within the user's reach. I'ld like to
see Tigran's code before commenting on his design, but the kludgery above
is just too ugly - it reeks with Missed'em'V if not worse.