Re: [patch] Yenta module race condition

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 20:13:15 EST

On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 12:29:44PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> You don't ant to auto-unload the yenta module anyway as far as I can tell:
> that would be bad when the laptop suddenly without any user action stops
> caring about card insert/eject events.

That shouldn't be a problem. Whenever the ds module is loaded, the
pcmcia_core module will have asked the socket driver(s) for event
notifications, and that will lock down the yenta module. And the ds
module is locked down by cardmgr.

> So you _want_ to have the module locked down, until the user explicitly
> decides to get rid of it, at which point the user (maybe an automated
> shutdown script) can explicitly kill the cardbus watcher deamons and
> unload the module.

Whether the module cleanup routine kills the threads, or it is done as
a pre-remove action, I don't think makes much difference. Is there a
precedent either way for relying on user space management of kernel
threads?

-- Dave