Re: [OT] an Amicus Curae to the Honorable Thomas Penfield Jackson

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 08:23:08 EST

On 6 May 2000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> jas88@cam.ac.uk (James Sutherland) writes:
>
> > Using GPL software as a user grants me rights; using it as a
> > programmer removes them.
>
> That's right. If you don't think a long-term benefit will result from
> giving up some of your rights, don't use the GPL or any GPL code. If
> you think your model of free software is better, join the many people
> who share your beliefs and help them writing software which competes
> with the GNU system. Perhaps some day in the future, it will become
> clear which approach is the right one, but at the moment, peaceful
> competition is probably the best thing. And each side shouldn't
> strive to have better arguments, but better software---better in their
> own subjective view.

I agree there. Personally, I use software under any license (including
proprietary, when it's the best or only solution - although I can't find
any on my machine ATM, except Acrobat Reader [xpdf and ghostscript still
have big problems with PDF files ATM], a copy of RealPlayer I don't use
any more, and Netscape 4.72 [soon to be replaced by the Mozilla derived v
6]).

I am not opposed to free or open source software at all - far from it - I
am just opposed to the people who take it upon themselves to decide that
other people's code should be free too.

James.