sd_mod.o weirdness in 2.3.99-pre7-pre6

From: Crispin Flowerday (cehf2@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 09:15:14 EST

The problem I have is with a zip drive and the sd_mod.o module.

I have the following setup

zip drive automounting on /.automount/zip (autofs v3)
symlink from /.automount/zip to /mnt/zip

this means I can list the /mnt directory and it mounts all available
drives.

However If the zip drive is turned off (parallel ppa.o drive)

the following is the output of /sbin/lsmod:

Module Size Used by
sd_mod 10204 0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport_pc 11792 0 (autoclean)
parport 14752 0 (autoclean) [parport_pc]
scsi_mod 62396 1 (autoclean) [sd_mod]
serial 41220 2 (autoclean)
nfs 82328 2 (autoclean)
lockd 53276 1 (autoclean) [nfs]
sunrpc 61028 1 (autoclean) [nfs lockd]
autofs 12244 1 (autoclean)
via-rhine 10044 1 (autoclean)

as expected, sd_mod and the parallel modules are loaded, however if I run
the command

/sbin/rmmod sd_mod

as root, there is a complete lockup of the computer (no opps)
X completely locks up.
If it was executed in a standard virtual terminal I can switch to another
terminal, but after entering my user name, i never get the password
prompt.

If however a zip disk can be mounted (disk inserted, drive on) then the
modules act fine and they can be removed properly.

This has happened for quite a few kernels recently, certainly all 2.3.99
kernels.

The machine is a pretty standard Redhat 6.2, with 2.3.99-pre7-pre6

I will of course supply any other information needed.