Re: pre7-6 oops in sys_mount

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 14:47:06 EST

thunder7@xs4all.nl wrote:

> On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 08:02:54PM +0200, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> > Alexander Viro wrote:
> > >
> > > Total bullshit. Please, use the correct System.map - for one thing, fuser
> > > doesn't do mounting, for another - ext2_free_inode() _definitely_ doesn't
> > > call sys_mount().
> > >
> > The code sequence and the registers match my crash in __d_path: vfsmnt
> > is NULL, called by proc_pid_read_maps on a shmfs entry.
> >
> proc_pid_read_maps? I'm no kernel expert, but perhaps this is the time
> to mention that I had top running, from procps-2.0.2, with both crashes.

You are the third one who encountered that bug: as soon as you read from

        /proc/<pid>/maps

on a process that uses a SysV shared memory segment, you get an oops.
There is even a comment in ipc/shm.c, search for MOUNT_REWRITE. I assume
it's Al comment, and he'll fix it as soon as he has fixed the more
important bugs.

--
	Manfred
P.S.: how did you add the symbols to the oops? ksymoops or klogd? IIRC