Re: Help! Too many links - #define EXT2_LINK_MAX 32000 ?

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 09:55:42 EST

On Sun, 7 May 2000 apmail@modperlhelp.com wrote:

> OK, I ran into unexpected brick wall with our fast growing internet
> service internettrash.com
>
> We're getting a message of Too many links, when trying to create a
> directory > 32000 To many accounts in one directory!
>
> We have a solution, to break up into multiple directories and use apache
> mod rewrite but it will take a few weeks to implement, have to change many
> programs.

Do you need to? Why can't you just use /~username/ URLs, and split the
user directories up into subdirectories? That can be done with just a
simple Perl script.

> Question, how big of deal is it to increase max directories by about
> 5-10K so it gives us some time and breathing room...?
>
> Is it a. extremely dangerous and will cause system to crash
> b. risky, some instability may occur.
> c. not a problem, system should be fine.
> d. dont know.

It could well cause performance problems, anyway. Much better, IIRC, to
split them up. Big directories tend to slow things down...

I'd use something like the first letter of the username, then the second,
so a user "penguin" would have a home directory /home/p/e/penguin. Apache
should be fine with accessing this as /~penguin - that's how I did it on a
large university WWW server under Apache a few years ago.

James.