Re: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Igmar Palsenberg (maillist@chello.nl)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 07:49:34 EST

> non executable stack give, as it was said before, a false sence of security;

I agree. Although it makes the life on someone who wants to get in a bit
harder..

> also, the majority of recent exploit work on non exec stack as it is, at least,
> as easy to write an exploit for non executable as for executable stack.

Is it ?? Lots of exploits abuse the fact that you can push some code on
the stack, and that get's executed.. If you can't make that move, it makes
the job a bit harder..

> So it will not even work on short term.

Restricting the power of root I think is some nice way to make a
start.. The main goals is still making userland apps secure.

        Igmar