RE: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 10:31:24 EST

> Secure logging with auditing is a decent solution.
>
> A WORM media is a nice thing, but almost no one has such a thing, so it's
> not an option for everyone..

---
	True...  But I wonder how long it will be before everyone has a CD-writer,
or 2nd computer they could write to (that has no remote logins)?  I wonder.  I wonder
if this would work: if you had a B/W security video recorder that only recorded frames when it
detected motion (difference in input signal), then have a TV board in your computer.  Have
it generate a blue screen normally, then every <period:=time or space consumed> have it
write to the TV board's input in such a way as to write displayable characters...  Maybe
the software is smart enough to read the tape back into computer format and/or it's just
reviewable by watching it and looking at the time indices.  Should hold tons of audit data.
Just some crazy ideas, pre-coffee on a Monday morning.

> > Keeping userland thing secure is an important issue, restraining root > power is a second.. --- Yup. New all purpose "Root-In-A-Cage", solve those nasty root problems today! :-) > Ugh.. Had to read that 4 times.. --- That's what I get for writing while tired (a common event).

> But yes, the physical security is also of importance... ---- If the machine isn't physically secure you have nothing. Pull out the hard disks and mount them on another machine where only the cracker's policies are in effect using *their* OS. Only encoding all vital data w/1-2K encryption keys could work -- assuming key is on user's encryption dongle that plugs into an external port that is removed when computer owner isn't present (maybe it's present on their key ring). Better be sure machine is on power-backup, since it won't be able to come back up w/o the dongle. :=) Maybe keep a backup-dongle stored in a safe deposit box. Think if those laptops lost by NSA and UK folks were protected with such a mechanism -- oops, laptops lost, but all data encoded w/1024 or 2048 bit key.

That *would* likely slow things down *but*, if the alternative is no laptop, or chance of sensitive data being stolen if laptop is stolen, it *might* be worth the slowdown.

:-) -l