Bug in kernels >=2.2.14 ?

From: Charlton Harrison (charlton@bach.dynet.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 11:33:56 EST

I believe there is a bug (or undocumented change of behavior) in kernels
>=2.2.14. My NICs work in 2.2.13 and 2.2.14pre4, but not in 2.2.14 or
2.2.15.

The problem is that I have a PCI NE2000 card, and a 3com 3c905b card.
Both are stated to be recognized by the kernel on boot (no problems or
differences in the dmesg for 2.2.13 and 2.2.14), but ifup on my eth1
(the NE2000 NIC) works on 2.2.13 works and doesn't on 2.2.14. It is
very frustrating. I'm sure that I have the kernel configured correctly
since I've been updating my kernel with every release without a problem
until now, and the settings are all the same as before...

Could it be that there is a new dhcp client to be used with the latest
kernels and the old ones don't work?
Could it be that there is a bug that was overlooked in the latest kernel
releases?

I've done some research on this topic in the newsgroups and although
there are others that have had this problem, there doesn't seem to be
any answers...

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Charlton