Re: RE: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 17:20:49 EST

Simon Richter (Simon.Richter@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de) writes:

> If someone gets in, I know how. I reinstall the machine from backup tape,
> and fix the hole. Downtime: six hours.

BWHAHAHA!! The problem is, I've been in your system for the last month, and you just found out - so when you restore the system from backup tape, you just restored all my Trojans and hidden SUID programs. You lose.

What we've done here for the production boxes is to install from the original CD-ROM, then insall the custom software from a CD-ROM burned on an interal system (disconnected from the outside world). Result: we have a guaranteed clean box.

That is, of course, assuming that the original CD-ROM doesn't have security holes and bugs straight from the manufacturer.

--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc