RE: RE: Future Linux devel. Kernels

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 01:40:30 EST

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Linda Walsh wrote:

> > allbery@kf8nh.apk.net (allbery@kf8nh.apk.net) writes:
> >
> > > Security truism: if someone *really* wants in, s/he will get in. And
> > > there isn't anything you can do about it.
> ---
> Can you give references for your quote or is this just your
> opinion? Imagine a system in Fort Knox. Only other connections are
> to other systems in Fort Knox. I don't know about you, but if you
> know a way to break into Fort Knox w/o getting caught red-handed,
> lemme know -- I hear they have some good stuff in there.

Who said it had to be done w/o getting caught? You try extraditing someone
from the PRC for cracking one of your development boxes and nicking a copy
of Trusted Irix...

If a person REALLY wants to get in, and has the resources, they can. They
just need to turn up outside with enough armour and ammunition to fight
their way in, and back out again. Not subtle, but it would work... :-)

James.