Remote Debugging of Linux Kernel--Help

From: Sivakumar Kuppusamy (sivakumar.kuppusamy@wipro.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 02:54:09 EST

Hi All,
I am facing a problem in remote debugging of Linux Hernel.
Let me explain the problem in detail.

I have made some changes in the Linux Kernel's Tcpip Source
code.(2.2.12-20 RedHat 6.1)
I recompiled the Kernel and i had some problems.
So I want to debug the Kernel from a remote Machine.
For that I downloaded a patch from oss.sgi.com ( kgdb2.2.12-20)
I applied the patch by using the command-- patch -p0 <
/tmp/kgdb2.2.12-20
After applying the patch I enabled the remote Debug option in xconfig by
doing
make xconfig.
Next I did "make dep".
Everything worked fine.
For creating a kernel Image I did "make bzImage"
A new Image was also created successfully.
This I did in a development m/c.
I copied the bzImage into a Target M/c to test it.
I added the following lines in the lilo.conf of the target M/c
image=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
    label=kdebug
    read-only
    root=/dev/hda5
    append="gdb gdbttyS=/dev/ttyS0 gdbbaud=38400

This new Image was added by issuing the command lilo.
This is on the Target M/c

On the Development M/c as per the instructions in the oss.sgi.com's help
I created a file called .gdbinit in /usr/src/linux-2.2.12-20 directory.
This contains the file vmlinux.
Contents of .gdbinit

set remotebreak 1
target remote /dev/ttyS0

After this on the command line I set the Baudrate to 38400 by
setserial /dev/ttyS0 baud_base 38400

I have also checked the serial connection by cu command .
It works fine ie I am able to send and receive data via /dev/ttyS0
between the Development and target m/cs.

Target M/c is booted with the new Image.
It says after some time "Waitng for connection from Remote gdb"

On the Development M/c in /usr/src/linux-2.2.12-20 directory I issued
the command:
gdb vmlinux

It does nothing.Both are waiting for a long time.
I can't trace where the problem is.
Is that gdb on the development m/c is not sending proper data to the
Target m/c
Or is there any problem on the target M/c.
I am trying this for a long time.
Can anybody Help me in solving this problem.

Thankx in advance.

--
Cheers
Siva