Re: NFS knfsd strange behavior...

From: Pete Zaitcev (zaitcev@metabyte.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 12:57:41 EST

Very long time ago, I reported a similar problem with knfsd, related
to a diskless workstation setup:

[zaitcev@js006 zaitcev]$ ls -ld /q /q/root /q/root/elanor
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 1024 Apr 27 08:48 /q
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 1024 Jan 22 13:23 /q/root
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 1024 Dec 12 18:41 /q/root/elanor
[zaitcev@js006 zaitcev]$ cat /etc/exports
/usr elanor(ro,no_root_squash)
/q/root/elanor elanor(rw,no_root_squash)

In SunOS environment, /q/root would be mode 700, but under knfsd
specifically, this causes mount succeed and _all_ subsequent access
fail with EPERM (no_root_squash is set). I had to resort to 755 mode
for /q/root.

In the event, in the Spring of 1999, Trond and others heard my evidence
and agreed that it was a bug, but I do not think it was ever fixed.

--Pete