Re: Unresolved symbol mystery

From: FORT David ou popo (fort@irin.univ-nantes.fr)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 07:37:14 EST

Keith Owens wrote:

> On Fri, 05 May 2000 15:11:23 +0200,
> FORT David ou popo <fort@irin.univ-nantes.fr> wrote:
> >Hi folks, i got a really strange error in 2.3.99-pre7/pre6:
> >I've download the NVIDIA modules for the G-force/TNT2 series that's a
> >really very beta source.
> >Anyway i compile module witout any problems but at the insmod time i got
> >the following error:
> >unresolved symbol printk_Rsmp_wxyz, (wxyz is an hex value)
> >when i check in /proc/ksyms i see:
> >blablabla(hex value) printk_Rsmp_wxyz (the same wxyz as above)
>
> Send me the output from
>
> grep printk /proc/ksyms
> nm /somepath/nvidia.o | grep printk
> insmod -v /somepath/nvidia.o
>
> Replace /somepath/nvidia.o with the full name of the NVIDIA module.
>
> Keith Owens, modutils maintainer.

the grep printk:
> c011df98 printk_Rsmp_1b7d4074

the nm blablabla | grep printk:
> U printk
> U printk_Rsmp_1b7d4074

the insmod -v module:
>/lib/modules/2.3.99-pre7/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol
printk_Rsmp_1b7d4074
>Using /lib/modules/2.3.99-pre7/video/NVdriver
>Symbol version prefix 'smp_'

The problem seems to be related with the 2 printk occurences(the first one
comes with NVidia core module and has no version information).
I've just tested the incriminated module with a non version numbering module

option:
it works perfectly, in fact the problem comes from NVidia that provides
parts of
its library with no version numbers in symbols. So when you compile a module

under
a kernel with version info, it produce a double printk symbol.

I hope i was clear.
(Could you mail when a new version will come)

--
%--IRIN->-Institut-de-Recherche-en-Informatique-de-Nantes-----------------%
% FORT David,                                                             %