Re: [RFC] Standard Sytem Config Filesystem (has /proc and devfs implications)

From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 10:10:01 EST

> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:18:06PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > The major target for this proposal is the Linux Standard Base folks,
but my
> > > (perhaps entirely mistaken) impression is that the LSB is a little
more
> > > politically driven body than linux-kernel, where it seems like
"what's
> > > Right and works well wins". As well, there are some small
kernel-space

> > The LSB goal is 'whats already working and everyone agrees has worked
for
> > ages' wins. The idea is to have a standard not to have ideas ;)

Smiley noted, but there has to be _some_ place to express ideas, and the
LSB folks _are_ working on standardizing the filesystem structure - if not
them, then who?

> Something that seems to have made its way in to several distributions
> is the concept of moving package related items to subdirectories, e.g.
> /etc/X11, /etc/httpd/, /etc/ppp/, etc. This is kind of nice in that it
makes it
> a. easy to find package configs and b. cleans up /etc. It would be nice
> to standardize on that. Does pluggerrc or squid.conf really need to be in
> /etc?

Agreed. The only difference 'twixt this and the proposal is to move the
package directories down a level to further catagorize them. So
/etc/services/httpd and /etc/networks/ppp. /etc/X11 is fine where it is
methinks.

> There's no way anyone is going to move really basic stuff like
> inetd.conf or passwd out of /etc. Too many preexisting things depend on
> their locations.

I disagree. I think it can be done, and should be done.

"Too many preexisting programs depend on libc5 t change the C lib"
"Too many preexisting machines depend on a.out file formats to move to ELF"
...and so on.

However, I do admit that even if every single person here thought it was a
great idea, that the switchover would be a long time coming, and should be
made optional for a while too.

A good start though would be /etc/dynamic, the place to put all things
/proc that aren't actually related to processes; all that system
config/state stuff. A second would to move kernel config files (like the
devfs config file) to the appropriate spot in the split hierarchy
(/etc/devices/devfs.conf for example)

If there were an associated config item, would patches that made this
happen be accepted?

The world doesn't have to be "saved" all at once... :)

DG