Re: PC speaker driver (fwd)

From: volodya@mindspring.com
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 10:23:10 EST

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Ian Carr-de Avelon wrote:

> David wrote:
> >volodya@mindspring.com said:
> >> Most computers that I saw have a small nice speaker (the sort you
> >> could see in radios couple decades ago). The problem however is not
> >> with speaker but with the way it is driven (on and off if I remember
> >> correctly). That is the speaker can either be told to emit a square
> >> wave at a certain frequency (which is used for beeps) or you can drive
> >> that square wave with cpu. Hence unlike sound cards that have from 256
> >> to 65536 gradations (or more) pc speaker has 2.
> >
> >True. The speaker is attached to a single digital output line from a
> >one-shot timer, IIRC.
> >
> >However, we're not quite as limited as you suggest. As you can expect a
> >small amount of capacitance, you can divide your time into small units,
> >and for each time unit, you allow the line to be set high for a percentage
> >of that time proportional to the desired analogue signal level at that
> >point.
> I think it depends on the inertia of the speaker rather than elecrical
> capacitance. My point is that as the inertia of the speaker becomes
> lower there is less filtering of the 18k component. Ie the speaker
> cone starts to follow the square wave. I can hear a high piched whine
> on new PCs which I don't notice on older PCs.
> Yours
> Ian

This would suggest that speakers are actually getting _better_, since they
are more accurately reproducing what you feed in..

On a side note you might be interested in

  http://www.math.upenn.edu/~vdergach/Linux/ (musplay)

if you just want to make a little music.. this program works on all X
servers that support Xbeep()..

                            Vladimir Dergachev