Re: Automaticly eliminating redundant zero initialisers

From: John Vickers (John.Vickers@pace.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 14:28:34 EST

Graham Stoney wrote:

> Yo gang,
>
> Well we seemed to have a fascinating discussion that largely re-covered stuff
> I'd already mentioned in my first message about this. So does anyone know how
> we would go about convincing gcc to perform the optimisation of redundant zero
> initialisers in Linux kernel code?
>
> Thanks,
> Graham

>From the last time this got batted arround on egcs/gcc:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-01/msg00633.html

There seemed to be some idea in that thread that
-fconserve-space and -Os might want to affect whether
this optimisation was performed. -fno-common
seems to do the opposite of what you need.

Turn it on, & see if anything breaks.

Looks like the hard part will be getting folks to agree on
a name for the flag to disable it...

John.