Re: System response time for Linux

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 02:36:34 EST

Mark Hahn wrote:

> > if you can tolerate occasional few-millisecond delays, the plain
> > kernel may suffice.
>
> this is much too harsh; with the user-level app running RT, and no stupid
> misconfigurations (IDE in PIO, other RT tasks), there won't be "occasional"
> long delays.

Alas, the console code blocks interrupts for extended periods. Up to 3
msec on a 400 MHz CPU. See

http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/26-mar-00-ann3.txt

I believe that the console scrolling is the worst problem. If I recall
aright, the above figures didn't include a lot of scrolling. High
levels of console output have been correlated with transmit underruns
and receive overruns on high-performance network interfaces for this
reason. Also correlated with audio playback hiccups.

The bad IDE numbers are real. Enabling interrupt unmasking (hdparm -u
1) fixes this.

And while I'm being rude about the console driver, the kill_proc()
within complete_change_console() with console_lock held is a deadlock
waiting to happen. kill_proc() does a _lot_ of stuff, including calling
schedule(). If anything at all does a printk() it'll wedge...

--
-akpm-