check/request_region() changes in 2.3.xx

From: Kirk Reiser (kirk@braille.uwo.ca)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 19:12:50 EST

Hi Folks: I have just started porting my speakup patches to the
latest 2.3.xx kernels and have run into some changes which have
occurred since we had them running under the earlier 2.3.xx kernels.

It seems that we are now calling check_region() and request_region()
before the kmalloc() function is available. At least, we are getting
kmalloc() returns a NULL pointer error. We make the call out of a
couple of functions which are called from console_init(). We probe
for synthesizer cards from our initialization functions but are
running into problems because of check_region() and request_region().

I have a couple of questions I guess. Are there functions we can use
that early which won't run into the kmalloc() problem? How early in
the boot sequence can people use check_region and request_region?
Does anyone have other suggestions how we could get our ports
registered?

Thank you very much for any suggestions folks might have.
  Kirk

--

Kirk Reiser The Computer Braille Facility e-mail: kirk@braille.uwo.ca University of Western Ontario phone: (519) 661-3061