Re: 3com 3c905c-txm

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 19:24:45 EST

Donald Becker wrote:

> > > Support for this NIC was introduced in 2.2.16pre2
>
> Actually, support was available in May 1999 with the 99L driver using a
> general catch-all for 900* cards, and September 1999 as an explicitly
> identified card. It could have been in the kernel far earlier than now.

You are correct. In this case, "support" simply refers to adding the
PCI device IDs. The catchall will indeed allow the 2.2.x driver to
support device ID 9004. (And the catchall trick doesn't appear to be
supported by the 2.3.x PCI scanning code).

> This is NOT a magic CPU software timing loop. I don't write such things.
> This is a completion check based on the value of interest -- PCI bus cycles.

> Please understand what the code is doing before changing it.

I'll agree with you there - we don't fully understand what is going on.
The extraordinarily long times are observed when a download stall
command is used on a heavily loaded, hubbed LAN. A LAN on which there
are many collisions. A LAN on which I can easily force the '16
successive collisions' condition.

I suspect that the NIC has started to send a packet, encounters a
collision and somehow blocks the downstall completion until it reaches a
suitable state. It _should_ just give up and leave the packet in the Tx
FIFO.

Bogdan was getting driver failure after <30 minutes with the 2.2
driver. After upping the counter he has run his tests for four days.
He's on a switched LAN, which tends to torpedo the above theories...

I'm not happy with dumbly upping the value and walking away - more work
will be done to find out exactly what is causing this. Fortunately it
is easy to reproduce.

--
-akpm-