Re: PPP crash with 2.2.15

From: Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS (edmundo@rano.org)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 03:36:19 EST

Some more information on the same problem:

I tried 2.2.14 with SMP. I was able to cvs update the directory that
previously, under 2.2.15, had crashed PPP every time. However, when I
tried cvs update on a different directory, I got an interesting crash:
the keyboard stopped working; evern Caps Lock didn't toggle the LED. I
was able to telnet to the machine over Ethernet, though. When I did
shutdown -h, the process didn't complete; there was a sequence of
"hda: lost interrupt" or something similar just after sending TERM. I
rebooted 2.2.14 with maxcpus=1 and tried cvs update in the same
directory; this time just the PPP connection died.

So 2.2.14 doesn't work either, though the different behaviour suggests
that perhaps something relevant was changed in 2.2.15.

I think I'll try 2.0.38 before giving up with this combination of
hardware.

Could someone please tell me whether a kernel compiled without SMP is
radically different (in a way that might concern this problem) from a
kernel compiled with SMP but running with maxcpus=1? Anything else I
could try?

Edmund