Re: Compaq Redundant Power Supplies

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 19:13:39 EST

> Last week however one of the power supplies broke. Dispite the fact that we
> installed a redundant power the machine froze. Because we had to get it up

Almost certainly the switchover wasnt smooth - are the PSUs guaranteed to
hot swap as well as providing alternative power ?

> * We could still ping the machine
> * When trying to telnet the machine we got a connection, but that was just
> it. No login prompt showed up nor did it respond otherwise.

Something corrupted stuff enough to confuse the machine

> * The console showed "Completion of ffffffff ignored" which is printed by
> the cpqarray driver.

The CPQ array driver saw the power glitch by the sound of that and died

> * During (BIOS) boot the cpaqrray showed some writes had to be flushed to
> the disks. This was done automatically

That backs up the assumption

> * During Linux boot a fsck did some repairs automatically
> * After Linux boot one of the databases faild to start because of data
> corruption

My guess is the PSUs failed to switch over cleanly, the cpq card and or
the kernel choked in the process and I/O maybe have been harmed or lost