Re: pre8: where has the anti-hog code gone?

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 07:19:36 EST

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> if (couldn't find an easy page) {
> atomic_inc(&zone->steal_before_allocate);
> try_to_free_pages();
> blah blah blah;
> atomic_dec(&zone->steal_before_allocate);
> }

ignore my previous comment about single-threadedness. Yes, this could
solve the problem, but might have other problems. There are some
differences: the above method is 'global', ie. it penalizes all
allocations if a try_to_free_pages() is blocked. [think about
try_to_free_pages() blocking for a _long_ time due to some reason - every
allocation will do a try_to_free_pages even though the original low memory
situation is long gone.] Am i correct?

The fundamental point would be to shield the result of a
try_to_free_pages() from other allocation points.

        Ingo