Re: serial.c

From: Robert Kaiser (rob@rob.robhome.sysgo.de)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 17:21:41 EST

In article <Pine.OSF.4.20.0005121714480.19600-100000@grace>,
        rfb6435@osfmail.isc.rit.edu (Rich Bryant) writes:
> I just don't see Linux as
> viable in this type of system since I need to have a megabyte of
> static storage somewhere bit it disk, rom, flash or network to simply boot
> it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well, half a megabyte would do according to my (x86-only) experience:
I made a "hello world" type system that does run from .5 Megs of ROM.
As soon as your system wants to do more than just print "hello world",
you'll need more.

The biggest issue in saving ROM space on Linux IMHO is the C library.
GlibC is just huge: a simple "main(){}" yields a 200KB (!) no-op executable
when linked statically against glibc. If you can afford to switch back
to the old libc5, things get significantly better.

Rob