Re: Proposal: int (permission*)(struct dentry *, int)

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 20:34:16 EST

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> _NOT_. Even ->permission() thing is murky, but for stuff like ->link() -
> forget it. NFS _is_ deeply perverted - forcing the results of botched
> protocol design upon every fs out there is wrong. I can see the point for
> doing struct file * in _some_ cases, but getting stuff tied to dentry is
> asking for trouble.

Al,
 there are some really good reasons for using dentries: a _sane_ network
filesystem will do everything based on an explicit pathname, and this
"filehandle" crap that NFS uses is only another breakage of NFS (and
traditional UNIX's inability to handle pathnames during IO).

I'm not saying that it's needed here, but I _do_ think that it can make
sense to pass in dentries if for no other reason than the fact that it
allows a good network filesystem to get access to the path (which it can
then pass on to the server if it needs to).

                Linus