Re: Antw: RE: oops on booting 2.3.99pre7-9

From: Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 21:09:59 EST

On Sat, May 13, 2000, Jan Niehusmann <list005@gondor.com> wrote:

> "Dunlap, Randy" <randy.dunlap@intel.com> schrieb am 13.5.00 11:16:
>
> >It worked well for me with
> >uhci.c. usb-uhci still has
> >problems though.
> >
> >What changes did you make
> >to usb-uhci.c. This patch
> >didn't apply to usb-uhci.c.
>
> I didn't change usb-uhci at all, but it probably has exactly the same
> problem.
> You may try to manually apply the patch to usb-uhci.c. IIRC some variables
> have slightly different names, so it won't apply automatically, but the
> differences should be obvious.
>
> (I'm writing this on my palm pilot and I don't have a linux computer
> available, so I can't check myself.)

Just as a quick note to clarify, the uhci.c and usb-uhci.c drivers are
fundamentally different in many areas.

Some of the code is similar (from a previous common version of the code)
but that is only some really basic code to start/stop the HC and
initialization of the controller. Even this is starting to deviate some
bit.

This is why there are 2 different drivers for the same device in the
kernel, because they are so different.

However, a patch has been posted to the linux-usb lists (follow the link
archives on http://www.linux-usb.org) for usb-uhci.c to fix the slab
poisoning related bugs.

JE