RE: 2.3.99-pre7: intermittent PCMCIA crashes on loading yenta.o

From: J.W. Hoogervorst (jeroenho@ic.uva.nl)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 04:20:57 EST

I have a Dell Inspiron 7500, and have this problem EACH time
pci_socket gets loaded
(after yenta.o), since 2.3.99pre7-pre6

After some days of searching and fiddeling with the code, I
came to the conclusion
the changes in vga16fb.c are inderectly the cause of this:

Because vga16fb started working in 2.3.99pre7-pre6, the
display goes graphical,
and this seems to enable the video interrupt, that is shared
by the PCMCIA controller.
It seems the PCMCIA interrupt code can't cope with this many
interrupts, or the code doesn't
like the interrupts from the videocontroller (maybe the
system locks up because the controller gets
read when there is nothing to be read.

For now, i placed an "return -1;" in the place of the old
return code from 2.3.99pre7-pre5 in vga16fb.c,
and all seems to be ok for now.

I'll be looking in to it, but I don't really what to look
for, so more knowing minds are asked not to wait for me ;-)

P.S. I sometimes had this in earlier kernels too, guess this
was due to X or similar.

With regards,
Jeroen Hoogervorst