Re: [Toshiba IDE DMA BUG] Pinpointed version

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 17:38:25 EST

Marc Duponcheel wrote:
> > Yes, there is a known problem with Toshiba notebooks & 2.3 memory
> > detection. It's been there for ages. Pavel Machek posted a tiny
> > "memory check" patch that at least crashes the kernel on boot instead of
> > corrupting your disk some random time later.
> >
> > BTW, I use "mem=63M" and it's fine.
>
> If it is a detection issue, what about putting the correct amount of memory
> "mem=64M" (or "mem=128M" in my case) ... I think I am going to try that too

No, "mem=64M" is dangerous and leads to occasional filesystem
corruption. In fact, mem=64M is more or less what the kernel memory
detection chooses.

The problem is that it's wrong. Some of that 64M isn't available for
kernel use. I forget the details -- either it was ACPI "reclaimable"
(but not really) memory or it was behaving as some kind of ROM.

-- Jamie