Re: Bad handling of .0 and .255 addresses

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 08:33:53 EST

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 09:15:40AM -0500, Ed Carp wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com) writes:

> > > This is only true in classful routing, not classless. In any
> > > case (old or new), the last hop router is the one that should be
> > > dropping or not dropping the packet, *never* a router somewhere in the
> > > middle.
> >
> > It's not even true then. It's only true in the case of classful
> > routing on a class C network (255.255 and 0.0 on a class B and 255.255.255
> > and 0.0.0 on a Class A) or in a /24 in classless routing (as defined by
> > the end router - intermediate routers can NOT make that determination).
> > In the case of /25 or smaller (larger number), 255 and 0 are bad but
> > so are 128 and 127 as well as others (depending on netmask number).
>
> Did you deliberately overlook the point? It's not the routers that were my
> point, it was the hosts that respond to such broadcasts.

        The point that I was specifically responding to was the remark
about .255 and .0 being bad. That is incorrect, except under very
specific circumstances and, even then, is not a matter for intermediate
routers. It's orthogonal to the hosts responding to broadcasts issues.
The ORIGINAL poster was making reference to intermediate routers blocking
those addresses, which is also wrong since a directed broadcast can only
be determined by the end router on the border to the specific subnet.

        If I followed the indenting correctly (correct me if I'm wrong)
you are the writer who made this statement: "No, sir, those addresses are
not valid addresses". That statement is manifestly incorrect in my
experience. It would only be true if the netmask were /24 or tigher.

        As far as hosts responding to a ping to .255, if you are on a
network with a netmask of, say 255.255.254.0 (a /23 which I have several
of at the office) then a ping to 208.21.4.255 will only get you that
host, it will NOT ding any other systems because it's NOT a broadcast.
By the same token, a ping to 208.21.5.0 will also reach a single
host, because it's NOT a network address. So here are two very specific
examples that .0 and .255 are legitimate host addresses.

        I personally control a /16. I have subnets finer than /24 which
would require finer restrictions and I have subnets greater than /24
on which x.255 or x.0 are possibly perfectly legitimate host addresses
(and are in some cases). I have some /24 networks, were your point
is specifically valid, but it's only on a /24 where those two addresses,
and only those two address, are reserved.

        What point am I missing at this point?

> --
> Ed Carp, N7EKG erc@pobox.com 940/367-2744 cell phone
> http://www.pobox.com/~erc