Re: info on System.map

From: ADAM Sulmicki (adam@cfar.umd.edu)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 11:09:55 EST

> I assume the /boot/System.map file should be different for different
> kernels. If so, how can we control this? With LILO I can pick
> several kernels. But I don't see any way to choose different
> System.map files.

System.map is used at "run-time", that is after kernel has booted.
It is used by stuff like..... whatever complains that your
system map is invalid :-) (like ksymops, can't think of anything else
right now, probably depmod too).

Depending on program it might be smart enough to look at /usr/src/linux
/boot/System.map-<version>, and furthermore checkc contest of those
files against /proc/ksyms to see if it found right System.map

In mine case solution was 'rm /boot/System.map' and don't put there
anything else.

> On a similar topic, what about the initrd*.img file on my RH6.2
> system? How is this generated? I don't find such a file in the
> kernel source directory tree after I compile.

those are image files used to boot initial system off. you could do 'mkdir
blah ; mount initrd-blah blah -o' and then cd into it and see what it has
(you might gunzip the file first if it is gzipped). There should be more
info about this in /usr/src/linux/Documentation. Bottom line you can
use them but you DO NOT HAVE TO.

--
Adam
http://www.eax.com	The Supreme Headquarters of the 32 bit registers