Re: Oops - hard crash in 2.2.15 - tcp_keepalive (again!!)

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 19:09:35 EST

> Andrea's delack-timer-5 to it this time around (had a prior crash in
> vanilla 2.2.15 without that though). Went 6 days to the crash this time -
> about average, so that evidently wasn't it, although this is pointing
> straight at tcp_keepalive again, like the older crashes, except not a "NULL
> pointer exception" - the one last week was slightly different, but still in
> tcp code.

The delack crash is fairly specific - you see the machine hang solidly rather
than an oops.

> In the past, setting tcp_keepalive real frequent crashed it quicker. Haven't
> tried it on this present example.

That would make sense. And yes Im sure this is software but the network hackers
haven't yet managed to pin this one down. Normally its only hitting very very
busy sites (think big porn sites, search engines etc). I wonder why you see
it so often. Could be just unfortunate timing though.