Is the linux bootsector able to boot from an HDD?

From: RaúlNúñez de Arenas Coronado (raul.nunez@victelehome.es)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 05:01:31 EST

    Hello everybody :))

    I want to boot linux in an special way: a common MBR (the one
shipped with debian, very simple) booting a primary partition.

    This partition is unformatted and the kernel is dumped on it
through 'dd if=vmlinuz of=/dev/hda1'. If I do the same on a floppy
the kernel boots OK, but in the HDD it only prints '8000' in an
endless loop.

    I've taken a look to 'arch/i386/boot/bootsect.S', and it seems
that the linux bootsector is only able to boot from a floppy (I've
seen something about assuming the setup code resides on head=0,
track=0, etc...). Is this true or am I doing something wrong?

    Thank you for your attention :)

    Raúl