Re: Filesystem Performance and buffer cache

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 18:51:35 EST

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Balbir Singh wrote:

> Recently, I tried to copy a huge file from one directory to another (on
> the same filesystem), the size was about 100 MB. Since the filesize was
> huge, I started a "cp" in the background, I tried proceeding to normal
> activity on the same filesystem on which the copy was progressing.
> I felt stuck (i could not do anything)

1) you CCd to Linus without reason (he has more than enough mail)
2) what kernel version are you using?

> 1. Is my analysis of the code correct or was there some other reason ?

You are pretty much right.

> 2. Is it possible to provide a solution to this problem or is
> there any known solution ?

2.3.99-pre9-latest + Juan Quintela's patch.

(yes, most of the VM nasties should be fixed, we worked on the
code with a "team" of 5 #kernelnewbies people and it really should
work now ... if we're lucky they're all fixed)

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/